missprint

let me put you in the major key


I went to see Confetti tonight in a free preview screening. I'm not sure that I'd recommend it, I'm definately glad that I didn't pay to see it. I think the Empire review sums it up pretty well: "Apparently, having established the concept and situations, Isitt had the cast improvise all the dialogue; now we know why Mike Leigh improvises before shooting but has a script down cold when the cameras actually roll. The actors riffing here are funny up to a point; their body language and expressions are more eloquent than the dialogue." Anyway, if you're not averse to watching something light and frothy and don't mind seeing rather more of Peep Show's Robert Webb (Jeremy) and Oliva Coleman (Sophie), then it's not an entirely unpleasant way of spending two hours. Also, if you are a fan of the adorable Playdoh-faced Martin Freeman, then it's worth it just to see him participate in some Fred Astaire-esque dancing. I must confess that myself and Lindsey weren't entirely devoting our full attention to the first 15 minutes of the film as we were both ravenous and intent on ripping into the packet of yum yums that we had acquired at Tesco.

Today's All Time Top Five is inspired by Confetti and is therefore the...

All Time Top Five...Wedding Songs



Ah, the wedding song, the terrain of Diane Warren and Westlife ballads. What better way of celebrating your joyous union with a rousing chorus of Wind Beneath Your Wings? Like most girls, I've thought and planned my wedding in my head (despite the fact that I'm not even sure whether I want to get married. I suspect, it's the prospect of a nice frock and cake that appeals to me more...) Anyway, should I ever get married, I am determined to have a credible first dance song and whilst the chanson du choix has changed many times over the years (much as my funeral song has), there are a few at present that I think would be choices that are appropriate for the occasion (I have heard tales from friends who have attended weddings with horrendous choices, e.g. You Sexy Thing), that are romantic without being trite and syrupy and most of all, cool.

One // Gwen Stefani The Real Thing (Wendy & Lisa Flow Jam Mix)
A vastly underrated gem from Gwen's kalaidoscopic debut album, Love. Angel. Music. Baby. This is the remix by Prince's sometime protegees, Wendy and Lisa which can be found on the Special Edition of the album. The original is pure 1980s sugar-coated pop but the remix is a much warmer and dreamy affair. Imagine Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time mixed with a sparse backing track of an organ and multitracked vocals. This Gwen at her most swoony, even more so than the eternally summery Cool: "You're a salty water ocean wave / You knock me down, you kiss my face / I know the storms will always come / But I still love to have you around."

Two // Ella Fitzgerald Someone To Watch Over Me
I feel that you can't go wrong, as far as first dances are concerned, with a classic and I'm sure that this particular track is frequently employed as a first dance song. The lyrics are certainly fitting: "I'd like to add his initial to my monogram." I can't resist some good old fashioned yearning in ballads and Ella's voice just breaks my heart.

Three // Sugababes Breathe Easy
What would my All Time Top Fives be without a girl group in them? Anyway, this track is very nearly my favourite Sugababes track (I find it impossibe to choose just one) and it features just the girls and an acoustic guitar and it's gorgeous. I think that this track is rather apt for a wedding as it hits just the right tone of hopefulness for the future: "We talk about the places that we intend to be / But if I were there, would you be you and baby would I be me? / I don't want to be somewhere and realise this feeling's gone / I'm lost in these tenses / Confused in my senses / Tomorrow is taking too long."

Four // Al Green Let's Stay Together
A classic and a long-time favourite of mine, the Reverend Al Green. Neither time nor overuse in subpar romantic comedies (read: the *nsync vehicle, On The Line) has eroded the Reverend's appeal and this is definately his finest moment. Once again, fitting lyrics for a newly married couple, almost echoing the wedding vows: "Let's stay together / Loving you whether, whether / Times are good or bad, happy or sad." (Considering current divorce rates, this should be a mantra for newly-married couples.)

Five // John Paul Young Love Is In The Air
Okay, I know that the criteria for this list stipulated that the songs should be cool but unfortunately, it's my list and my rules and I shall break them as I see fit. As we all know, I am definately not cool and my heart truly lies with stuff like this. Yes, I know, it's terribly cheesy, right from the bontempi keyboard introduction to the key change at the end but I just really love how unashamedly uplifting and joyous this track is and in my mind, there is no song that is more made for weddings that this song. All together now..."Love is in the air / Everywhere I look around / Love is in the air / Every sight and every sound."

Other songs which were up for consideration were: "All Time Love", Will Young, "There Is No Greater Love", Amy Winehouse, "Nobody Does It Better" Radiohead (should they ever decide to record it properly), "Sweetest Thing", U2, "I'm Glad You're Mine", Siobhan Donaghy, "Into My Arms", Nick Cave, "Crazy For You", Madonna and "Cheek To Cheek", Frank Sinatra.

Anyway, I must take my leave to cram in some more writing as I have a meeting with my dissertation supervisor tomorrow and am terrified. (Although, obviously not terrified enough to stop me from swanning off to free Heat screenings. Sigh.)

0 Responses to “"heaven, I'm in heaven / and my heart beats so I can hardly speak"”

Post a Comment



© 2007 missprint | Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.