missprint

let me put you in the major key


I never thought that I would see the day where I got bored just lazing around at home all day but I reached that particular nadir around Tuesday. Rather fortuitously, on Wednesday I got a phone call from my boss asking me whether I was free to work today and I jumped at the chance. I think I had a little of the first-night-of-school type nerves because I couldn't get to sleep until about 3am (and even that was under the duress of switching the light out and squeezing my eyes shut, trying to will myself to sleep) and then woke up at 7am a whole hour before my alarm was due to go off. I decided that rather than risk falling asleep again and waking up grumpy because I was awoken by my alarm, I would just get an early start.

So, after loading up my iPod with some new goodies, I set out with a spring in my step and decided to walk to work with the Lily Allen chirruping in my ears. I used to walk everywhere before I learnt how to drive so I've become progressively more and more lazy in the past few years. So, you can imagine how chuffed I was to discover that I beat my driving time to work and walked there in 25 minutes. Yay. I arrived at work to discover no-one there and no work to do so I spent my morning pottering around, making cups of tea with pilfered posh organic green tea bags and doing the Heat crossword. Then Lindsey arrived toting the Green & Black's Chocolate Cook Book, so naturellement another half an hour was spent bookmarking everything I want to bake. I have relatively adventurous gastronomic tastes but even I can't stomach the idea of savoury chocolate recipes. (Swedish Chocolate Coffee Lamb anyone? Quote: "Don't dare tell your friends what's in this dish until they have eaten it." How about Chocolate Courgette Loaf or Chilean Chocolate Sausages? Bleurgh.) However, my interest was piqued by the Aztec-esque recipes for Chocolate Chilli Muffins and proper Xocolatl (very Mrs. Coulter-esque), so I think my weekend will be spent melting copious amounts of pricey organic chocolate.

As my productivity took a sharp decrease after lunch as my lack of sleep hit me, I suddenly found myself transfixed by my waggling fingers encased in a bumblebee glove puppet. A whole day of working in a separate room on your own with only Radio 1 for company will do that to you. I was determined not to perpetuate the vicious circle of messed-up sleep patterns by falling asleep as soon as I got home but rather predictably I failed. Only to be woken up by a voicemail from Lindsey. She had phoned to brag about having blagged her way into the filming of Transmission as it was being filmed at her friend's art studio. Meaty chunks of showbiz gossip for you: Lauren Laverne apparently "smells very nice, she obviously wears some kind of cocoa butter" and Steve Jones looks "very haggard close up." Also, the audience of Transmission was made up of "lots of screaming girls and boys with haircuts." Needless to say, I think my dear friend was more than a little gin-soaked. She's probably throwing her knickers at Jose Gonzalez as I type.

I was going to do a Top Five of talky bits in songs but I still haven't thought of five yet. So instead...

Top Five YouTubes of the Week

One // Jump! It's the Aliens of London



Yes, it's a Girls Aloud/Doctor Who mash-up. Goodness me, I think I might need a cold shower.

Two // "Why you gotta play that song so loud?"



Arise Dame Billie of Piper for possible the best Smash Hits Poll Winner's Party performance...ever. It's Because We Want To performed in 18th century ballgowns. AMAZING. It is scientific fact that any pop performance conducted in period gear is instantly elevated to galactic levels of pop greatness. (See also Biz Markie's Just A Friend.)

Three // The Doctor Dance



I know, more Doctor Who YouTubery but being quite a fan of the YouTube karaoke phenomenon, how could I resist watching an 11 year old boy doing a rather demented arms aloft dance to the closing credits theme tune?

Four // RIP TOTP



An ode to the institution that is Top of the Pops (and Fearne Cotton). "Jungle is massiv". Ahem.

Five // Ian Wright: Pundit



Obviously worth watching for Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant's sketch on England footballing tactics (yes, even fervent anti-football viewers such as myself found this entertaining). However, all this is overshadowed by two things: Ian Wright's distinctly un-PC comment and the embarassed silence that ensued afterwards.

Anyway, I am off to try and cram in another film before I go to bed because the last thing I watched was The Ring 2 and I need something to take my mind off the video nasty heebie jeebies. I bid you all bonne nuit and happy weekend!

2 Responses to “"glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstar is sucked into the supermassive"”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    "It is scientific fact that any pop performance conducted in period gear is instantly elevated to galactic levels of pop greatness."

    See also Rock Me Amadeus.

    Now I have broadband I can partake of the youtube phenomenon! (Until I run out of download)  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Wow, I'm impressed that there's someone who likes both Girls Aloud and Dr Who as much as you do. It must be nice to know you're normal. You should definitely take the name Dolly Coughdrop, because I think the racehorse will be pulling a milkfloat soon (in the 1930s). Your videos also reminded me that La Infanta Billie didn't make her weird grunting noise in Doctor Who, sadly. The only other period vid I can think of is Pink's Trouble, though. But I've just spent 20 minutes on YouTube trying to find clips of Richard Park on Fame Academy, so my video viewing is infinitely worse. I think you should make sausages coated in chocolate, and then tell people the're Cadbury's fingers.  

Post a Comment



© 2007 missprint | Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.